Laurelhurst Golf Club history? According to Historylink.org in regards to Golf arriving in Seattle, Laurelhurst seems to be the second place that golf was played in Seattle and definitely in much higher style than the first go around….
“Collins visited Victoria, B.C. and saw the Oak Bay Club. He was inspired and returned to Seattle and formed the Seattle Golf and Country Club with 53 members. They rented 55 acres of farmland in Laurelhurst from a man named Ferguson and they retained the services of professional golfer John Ball to design a 9-hole course. Ferguson’s home became the clubhouse. Players rode the Madison Street cable car to Madison Park where they took a launch across Union Bay to Webster’s Point, in Laurelhurst.”
Of course, we know there isn’t one there now. In 1907, they moved it to The Highlands and changed the name to The Seattle Golf Club. Interestingly enough, though. The club house with was Ferguson’s Laurelhurst home still stands today at the corner of NE 41st St and Latimer.